Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Rick Knepper
Forum ProPosts: 10,113Gear list
Like?
You can expect better.
In reply to LesGoodey, 6 months ago

As someone using a 5D3, 6D, D3x and D800E, I deploy the 5D3, 6D & D3x depending on my lens needs for handheld AF shooting and the D800E for critical focus/IQ on Tripod. That's the general breakdown but not tied to it with chains. I am 62 and I know I am not as steady as the young bucks but the pic below does not have handshake issues.

I am afraid I am personally holding this Tamron lens to maybe an impossible standard set by the EF 24-70 II, the best standard zoom in 35mm. However, the Nikkor 24-70G will beat this Tamron too.

LesGoodey wrote:

Hello, I have been a professional photographer since 1974 working in the Commercial, Military and Education areas. I use Phase medium format equipment in my day job and Canon 5D and 5D11 personally. I recently bought a Nikon D800 with a Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 for myself and after hundreds of shots I have yet to find a single one that I am happy with!

I have scoured the internet looking for information on achieving sharp images and downloaded as many real world samples as I can find and I have to say I don't think those are any better.

I am talking about hand held shots inparticular and although I'm getting on a bit I don't think I shake that much.

I notice that most recommendations are for higher ISO and shutter speeds than you might otherwise have used.

Here is a full size out of the camera jpeg for your comments:

Nikon D800 Tamron SP24-70 f2.8 - 400th sec at f8 - 250 ISO

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, shooting for pleasure. It is better to have It and not need It than need It and not have It. Various RAW comparisons at Link. Includes 5D3 vs D800E, 5D3 vs. 6D, Zeiss lenses etc. https://app.box.com/s/71w40ita6hrcfghojaie

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow