Is the Panasonic 14-45 the best "kit" zoom?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Aaron801
Contributing MemberPosts: 891Gear list
Like?
I didn't realize that it was the"best" of anything...
In reply to fevan, 8 months ago

Since it's a really inexpensive lens I figured that it wasn't really considered to be that great a piece of equipment. It's nice to know that it is though because that's what my GH2 came with and that's what I've been using for a while... that and a few adapted 35mm lenses that I've been having pretty good luck with. My 14-45 seems to be pretty sharp and I've been pretty happy with it. There is a bit of a caveat, though not a deal-breaker: Ive found that toward the wide end that it has both pretty bad distortion and vingnetting. Neither of these is really a problem for me though as I've found that the controls in Photoshop (and probably lots of other photo editing software) take care of those problems very well. I spend a lot of time generally with post production and I really enjoy that aspect of the process... so dealing with little workarounds like this to get the best performance from a piece of equipment is just fine with me. 
I will say this about it though, even though I really like the lens, it feels REALLY cheap! The one that I have is one of those with a plastic mount and the whole thing feels like nothing... there's no heft to it at all... It feels like a toy, but it works well and that's the most important thing.

Aaron801's gear list:Aaron801's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow