Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,902Gear list
Like?
Re: Some in this thread are missing an important point
In reply to Robin Casady, 5 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

digital ed wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I haven't seen any difference at all between tripod and handheld with my D800e at the 400% peep provided I had a decently high shutter speed. Piece of cake!

Certainly a high enough shutter speed can minimize or eliminate camera movement when being hand held. But some have observed there may be a shutter activated resonance in the D800 mechanism that may last for a measurable time that may require a faster than normal shutter speed to eliminate. Shutter delay can prevent this.

PDAF with the D800 is very good but I do not think it is good enough to always get optimum focus. I have observed this with my camera using shutter delay and even with studio strobes. CDAF seems more reliable and as good as manual focus using the camera's LCD with magnification or being tethered to a computer for a larger display.

I apologize that I do not have a link to the observations I read in the past regarding the resonance. I am looking and if I find it I will post.

If shutter delay prevents this "resonance" then it has to be caused by the mirror rather than shutter activation.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Interesting Robin that you were the second poster in this thread on mirror resonance by Horshack.

Mirror Resonance Photos

My testing with my D800 shows similar degradation without mirror lockup.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow