Senior MemberPosts: 2,516
Like?
Re: Panasonic 7-14 - Usage tips for UWA neophyte
In reply to yyr, 5 months ago

Just looking at your photos again and adding a couple of things to my comments

yyr wrote:

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

yyr wrote:

The other thing is that you get more 'natural' distortion at the sides of the frame so it's a good idea to keep away from tall objects or people at the side and try and place them more centrally. You can also 'create' distortion by angling the camera forward (away from you) Try this a couple of times and you'll see what I mean. I would say that your pictures below are pretty typical of the lens at 7mm. You're off to a good start.

I forgot to mention in my OP. Look at what happened to the cylindrical building (far left) in photo 5 with the sun spots.

It's close to the edge of the frame - it's getting distorted because of that.

1.This building is cylindrical.

it looks cylindrical in this picture

I posted that shot for comparison to the others.

3. Same building as the first shot. Note the odd elliptical shape near the top.

I can't see anything except a bit of faint cloud?

Look at the top of the building. The shape isn't cylindrical like it is in photo 1.

This looks like you weren't holding the camera straight and it was tipped forward. You're getting some distortion as a consequence.

I should have said tipped back. Did you maybe lean back a bit to try and get the whole building in?

5. The sun finally poked out for a moment so I rushed to catch it and Wham! sun spots. Note the sun on the foreground wood.

Normal for wide/UWA lenses. If it bothers you you will need to keep the sun away from the frame or shade the lens with your hand/hat (easier said than done)

But in this shot the sun had barely come out. It was from behind and to the right. And buildings were blocking it from hitting the lens.

I don't think it needs to be directly in the frame or hitting the lens to cause spots/flare but I'm sure there's someone more technically gifted than me who can elaborate.

Just looking again and wondering if you're getting reflection off that building?

7. I've photographed this hotel before but was never able to capture so much at once.

Aah - that's one of the joys. Nice composition too.

Not quite perfectly symmetrical (look at the top), but I'll do better.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

-- hide signature --

Yaelle
--------
"No matter how slow the film, Spirit always stands still long enough for the photographer It has chosen." - Minor White

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow