FD to M43 focal reducer problem, also which FD lens do you suggest ?

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
adygadam
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
Re: FD to M43 focal reducer problem, also which FD lens do you suggest ?
In reply to chad515, 6 months ago

chad515 wrote:

The lens in that picture is an old FD, not a new FD (aka FDn) lens. You can tell by the silver locking ring on the back of the lens. FDn lenses don't have that ring, and you mount them by twisting the lens itself (similar to how you mount MFT lenses). While they are different to work with, FDn and old FD lenses are compatible and use the same adapter.

I tend to seek out FDn lenses, as they are often lighter and have improved coatings, but old FD lenses can be just as good optically (especially if they're S.S.C. coated). I've never had a problem with an old FD lens, but I've also never used a focal reducer.

I received the "normal" adapter and experimented with the lens.

When I got the focal reducer today it was exciting to get full stop of light in addition to reducing the focal length, however I was shocked to learn that I cant stop it down any further than F4.8 which annoyed me a lot considering I paid 4x times the adaptor cost.

I am debating whether I should return the focal reducer or wait until I get an FDn lens, or even live with it ?

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Damian

adygadam's gear list:adygadam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow