Gear advice needed (Zoom lens in the 50 to 200-300mm range )

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
math guy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,307Gear list
Like?
Re: Gear advice needed (Zoom lens in the 50 to 200-300mm range )
In reply to Mrik, 6 months ago

Mrik wrote:

Well I didn't use the 50-200 mm much because I found it lacking sharpness, and also because I usually needed it around the longer focal, which meant higher ISO, hence noisier pictures with the k-7...

In that case, I can recommend you add the Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 to your list of lenses to consider. Not only is it sharp wide open, but it also gives you an extra two stops at the long end. And the price is quite reasonable for a lens of its quality.

but I also want to buy a new one because of the extra 100 mm.

I've found that I can get pretty good crops from the Tamron, and I don't really miss the extra 100 mm compared to my 55-300. If you can get a lens which is f/4 at 300 mm that might not be the case, but I suspect you'd be jumping up in price a good bit for that.

-- hide signature --

-- Joe S.
If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. ~ Albert Einstein
http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/josephschmitt

math guy's gear list:math guy's gear list
Pentax K-x Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow