Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
digital ed
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,014Gear list
Like?
Some in this thread are missing an important point
In reply to LesGoodey, 8 months ago

There is a technical and subjective difference between an image that is sharp and an image that is at the optimum sharpness for a lens/camera combination.

Take the new Zeiss Otus for example. Put it on your D800, hand hold, quick focus and take a picture. The odds are you will get a "sharp" image but most likely not near what could have been achieved with proper technique for that camera/lens combination.

Read some of the comments from Otus users. To get the optimum results with the D800 (which is the camera of choice for evaluating this lens) it takes bolting it down to a secure base, delaying the shutter actuation and experimenting with the focus setting. Of course, reasonably sharp images can be achieved by hand holding and using fast shutter speeds at the expense of shallow DOF. But it all comes down to what is the level of expectation for what is a "sharp" image and what is the optimum that can be achieved.

Certainly I do not have an Otus to experiment with. But I have experimented with some good Nikon lenses on my D800. It is clear from my comparative testing that the sharpest images at the pixel level come from tripod mount and delayed shutter activation.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow