Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Raist3d
Forum ProPosts: 33,150Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)
In reply to MarsObserver, 6 months ago

MarsObserver wrote:

Raist3d wrote:

yomasa wrote:

Is it a keeper?

That depends on you. I am new to the Nikon 1 system so I at this point here's what I would say (but again, I am not done with my assessment):

- If you have a V2 and you love your V2, in particular you don't care for a smaller size option or you really like that EVF being built in and not attached- KEEP your V2.

Is the V3 notably smaller than the V2 (I only have the V1). Looking at camerasize.com it seems like the V2/V3 are roughly the same mass but in different shapes?

The size is different. Look at them from the top.

And that the V2 is almost one third less weight?

That may be but I am given priority to size (pocket ability).  Remember to compare the V3 without any grip.

Remember, these are tools- my needs are not your needs. In my case I am looking for street life, in particular that it is good enough for night street life as it is one of the things I like doing a lot.

I wish I had the F1.8 prime to do my evaluation but only have the kit lens so will have to make do with that and extrapolate the rest.

I'd be interested in the V3 for the same reason, so would be interested in hearing your opinion.

- The Sony RX100 is smaller and lighter and potentially a good street shooter... but is more obvious with its extending lens and more difficult to grip

I hated hated hated the RX100.  Laggy menus, poor interface, slow lens.  The sensor has definitively better IQ though, but it doesn't offer you an F1.2 or F1.8 option at 50 or 8x mm equiv.

- The Ricoh GR if of course a great street shooter... but more or less limits you to the 28mm FoV (granted, with the ability to do some cropping)

The Ricoh GR is the ideal and perfection every camera maker should look at when doing a street life camera. It is that good.  The cropping options are also fantastic. I wish Ricoh had done a tele converter and I wouldn't even have bothered looking at the V3.

- The V2 looks like the grip would be better for street shooting. I wonder how the V3 with grip compares to the V2 (size, grip-ability)

They are probably both ok.

- The V3 with grip may provide great street ergonomics. The fast AF of the 1 series can be useful. I like the ability to change lenses / focal lengths even to the extreme of using the wide-angle for in-close shots or alternately using the new 70-200 for extreme candids.

Yup.

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow