a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
photosen
Senior MemberPosts: 2,968Gear list
Like?
It's a question of perspective
In reply to Sandy70, 6 months ago

Image quality isn't just a question of megapixels and such, but of capturing what you have in mind, and in specific circumstances related to light and movement; my old Canon 30D still helps me take pictures much better than my much more recent smartphone, even if the latter might be on par with point and shoot cameras; I see photos friends send me from their phones that while looking ok could have been awesome with a DSLR or mirrorless camera.

It might seem much more practical to take a snapshot with a device you're carrying anyway, until you have to fumble with the screen controls and are unable to capture what you intended - which is different from capturing what's in front of you and letting the camera or phone somehow decide for you. It's much more practical to have a device that fits your hand well and gets out of the way while you decide on the image you want to capture. Of course it will be bigger and heavier, but once you see it as a tool you are ready to pay that price.

I'm sure there are people who can do wonders with what they have, but the vast majority of people simply give up after taking yet another shot of the cat, or insist and get a super duper camera with expensive lenses - just to keep shooting the same bloody cat, or worse, walls. I can only tell you amateur photography can be really enjoyable, even therapeutic, even if the cat shooters think you're crazy for going out at 6 in the morning to catch that special light...

photosen's gear list:photosen's gear list
Canon EOS 30D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow