Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
MattZisk
Contributing MemberPosts: 633
Like?
Re: Nikon 1 V3 impressions (yes, have one atm)
In reply to photoreddi, 5 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

SHood wrote:

Toshiba announced UHSII microsd cards today. See other thread. If the V3 can use them the buffer should clear much quicker.

According to the V3 manual it can only support UHS-I cards.

I hope that's because there weren't any UHS-II cards available for testing when the manual was written. The fastest UHS-1 microSDHC cards I've found so far have about 1/2 the write speed of the fastest UHS-1 SDHC cards. There are Lexar SDHC and SDXC cards advertising 95MB/s read speeds but nothing that specifies a write speed, only this : "features a maximum read speed of 95MB/s along with a minimum transfer rate of 10MB/s." Otherwise, Sandisk have 50MB/s and Delkin Devices have 40MB/s UHS-1 microSDHC/SDXC cards, vs. Sandisk's familiar 95MB/s(r), 90MB/s(w) SDHC cards. These two were found on B&H's website.

Delkin Devices 56MB/s(w), 40MB/s(r)

Sandisk 80MB/s(w), 50MB/s(r)

It is very unlikely in my view that Nikon would have (could have) included a UHS-II-compatible interface in the V3. It's not simply a matter of the card, itself, but the bus and addressing systems (and I expect the controller hardware), which are completely different.

Why would they have designed an interface for cards that don't exist (still don't exist except in test quantities for smartphone and other designers trying to implement the standard for the first time)?

There are no devices in existence today that can use the new UHS-II cards, and Nikon is never out front that far.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow