a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
BobSC
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,292
Like?
Re: a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras
In reply to Sandy70, 5 months ago

Sandy70 wrote:

Image quality is as good as those of a DSLR, especially in an era where most digital photos will land up being seen on web pages. We are not talking about professionals who print. He felt the

This seems to be a key consideration in your question. If you are only taking photos in good light and you're only using "standard" focal lengths and you're only putting them on web pages, then you can get equal quality from compact cameras. And they are certainly easier to carry.

This is from a Canon a1000, which you can buy on ebay for $10:

And the light isn't really all that good.

And this one is from a Canon s95:

Probably neither of those would be significantly better if I had had a dSLR with me.

But probably no compact camera would have let me get this shot:

When we went to some National Parks last summer I took two dSLRs (so I could have two lenses and not change them in the desert). No regrets about carrying the extra weight on that trip, because the resulting images are great, and stand up to large prints. But we just went to a music festival and a Sony Nex3n with only a single 16mm lens did great, and in that case it was worth it not to have the extra gear to carry around.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow