PIX 2015

Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?

Started Apr 19, 2014 | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
traveler_101
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?
Re: Oly 17mm 1.8, Oly 25mm 1.8 or the sigma 19mm?
In reply to TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice, Apr 19, 2014

TheOneWhoNeedsAdvice wrote:

Hello fellow photographers!

i am about to buy a new lens, and I'm searching a wide or a "normal" (at least something wider than my 45mm)

i would like to shoot "semi-landscapes" and such and I find my 45mm too telephoto like. So my questions are:

Can you do semi-landscapes with a 25mm?

Does the Sigma have very bad AF, and how is the IQ?

And at last, is the 17mm too expensive when you compare it to the sigma in terms of IQ and AF (As far as I know is the 17mm lightning fast)

my current gear is the OM-D E-M5, the 75-300mm II and the 45mm 1.8

I hope you can help me!

I recently purchased the 25/1.8 lens. What can I say: it has fairly compact and light, has almost instant focusing, can take close up shots, and has a standard 50mm viewpoint--traditionally considered closest to the human eye's perspective. Nice lens/good image quality--you can't go wrong.

I am not sure what you are looking for and I don't know what "semi-landscape" refers to. Landscape shots can be taken with several different focal lengths; no one lens owns the category. The advantage of a wider lens like the Olympus 17--is that you can get more into the shot, better for taking shots of street scenes for example--a particular kind of "landscape"--arguably; the disadvantage is that being wider it is harder to control your composition, choosing the arrangement of the elements inside the picture. 35mm became the "sweetspot" for rangefinder photography in the 1960s with manual focus lenses--which I also do, I have a Leica IIIf. One reason is that it is a hell of lot faster to manually focus a 35mm lens than a 50mm lens--greater depth of field. That is completely irrelevant with auto focus lenses we use in m43.

I don't agree with the comment that you should try shooting for a couple of weeks with the kit zoom at different FLs to see which you like. It simply takes more time than that. I think the 25mm (50mm equivalent) is a better way to improve your photography and I would recommend it, UNLESS you have a specific need for a wider lens. Either way you go, in the end you will probably wish to have at least two tenses in the wide-to-normal category. Good luck!

traveler_101's gear list:traveler_101's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | A Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
zoomNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow