a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,937Gear list
Like?
Re: a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras
In reply to Sandy70, 3 months ago

Sandy70 wrote:

I would love to take out of the box photographs. I was considering buying a DSLR.

I read some articles on opinions page on this web site. Some senior photographers mentioned that compact cameras Image quality is as good as those of a DSLR, especially in an era where most digital photos will land up being seen on web pages. We are not talking about professionals who print. He felt the difference in IQ was not worth the pain carrying the gears around when on a holiday. He hasn't used his DSLR for sometime now. There were others too who agreed with him. There would be people who would not admit this since they already own a DSLR. Wanted honest opinions.

Am I craving wrongly for something that's going to be short lived?.

Would it mean concentrating on camera more than the holiday?

OK looking at your other posts, you already own a 12mp Sony compact camera and you're going on a once-in-a-lifetime family holiday. There are a couple of questions that you need to answer:

1. Are you happy with the photos produced by your current camera for however you currently use it (web, small prints, etc.)?

2. What doesn't your current camera do now that you need another camera to do? Better low-light photos? Better color? Longer zoom? Wider aspect? Faster reaction time (ie less shutter lag)?

3. Are you anticipating a different use that your current camera doesn't allow, perhaps making coffee table size photo books, or intermittently shooting video clips?

4. How much do you want photography to dominate your once-in-a-lifetime family holiday? Are you planning early mornings for "perfect light" landscapes? Do you plan to document the inside of churches/museums more than a quick picture postcard purchase will accomplish? Do you want to change lenses?

Everyone here can tell you what works for them. Heck I've done once-in-a-lifetime trips both ways, obsessed with carrying lots of gear (especially back in the film days), a pocket point-and-shoot and even went through a phase (again in film days) when I just opted for a couple disposable point-and-shoots.

If you can already create every type of image you want with your current camera -- and you have enough spare batteries and a good charger or two -- you may not need to buy another camera.

If you decide you do need another camera, truth is -- unless you're planning something exotic -- just about anything on the market will be fine -- as long as it satisfies all of your needs.

Though as a passing thought. While you're recording that one-in-a-lifetime trip, don't forget other basics like a notebook or recorder (ideally with removable media) and jot down (or record) what you thought was cool about  the day/place. That will help give your images context in the decades to come.

Safe travels and good luck with your gear choice.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow