What are quirks and strengths of the K5ii?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
audiobomber
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,442Gear list
Like?
Re: What are quirks and strengths of the K5ii?
In reply to SirSeth, 8 months ago

SirSeth wrote:

I'm also researching lenses. My favorite lenses are my 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 (22-44mm equiv) and 50-200mm f2.8-3.5. (100-400mm equiv). They are completely sealed, sharp all the way across the frame, fast, compact, and yield great color sharpness and contrast. There really are no direct equivalents. I'll probably keep my 11-22mm and E-1 even if I decide to make a switch.

Don't forget to make aperture and focal length conversions when comparing 4/3 lenses to APS-C. The conversion factor is 2/1.5.

• 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 is equivalent to 15-29mm f3.7-4.7 in APS-C
  • 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 is equivalent to 67-267mm f3.7-4.7 in APS-C

I don't know the Oly 11-22, but note that Pentax shows a new ultra wide zoom in the lens roadmap.

The DA*60-250mm f4 is certainly a match for your 50-200mm. Similar size, weather-sealed. pro quality build, comparable IQ according to Photozone (both rated four stars for optical quality).

The Pentax SMC DA* 60-250mm f/4 ED [IF] SDM is a highly desirable long tele zoom lens with only minor weaknesses (except QC maybe). It is very sharp through its range and even the secondary aspects such as distortions, vignetting and lateral CAs are well controlled. While not formally tested the high quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) seems to be a differentiator compared to similar lenses - long tele zoom lenses are often problematic here. The build quality is exceptionally high and up to pro standards. The AF operates virtually silent and fast (although not blazingly speedy). All-in-all a sound offer albeit a somewhat pricey one.

http://www.photozone.de/pentax/479-pentax_60250_4?start=2

The Olympus Zuiko 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 ED SWD is an obvious choice for those looking for an upgrade from their Zuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6 or Zuiko 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6. The Olympus lens does certainly shine regarding its very good resolution capabilities throughout the zoom range. Distortions as well as CAs are well controlled. The vignetting is a bit on the high side at max. aperture but it's not a real problem either. A certain weakness is the quality of the bokeh (out-of-focus blur) in critical situations. However, to be honest many zoom lenses in this range have problems here as well.

The build quality of the Zuiko is exceptional. Typical for an Olympus "Pro" grade lens it does even feature a sealing against dust and moisture. Thanks to Olympus' new SWD the AF speed is significantly improved over its predecessor. All in all a highly desirable lens.

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/454-oly502002835?start=2

-- hide signature --

Dan

audiobomber's gear list:audiobomber's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony a6000 Pentax K20D Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow