*** This Week Through YOUR m4/3 2014.04.19 ***

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,368Gear list
Like?
Town & Country
In reply to Wormsmeat, 5 months ago

Or, country and town.

This past weekend I looked for some broad scenics in Bovina (foothills west of the Catskills) that were accessible via ATV. Come take a short ride. . .

I have permission to ride on 800 acres of private property, much of it hay fields. I liked the view, though couldn't quite manage to find much in the way of f/g interest to feature.

Panoramic

The next day I was going to move to a reservoir, but with the wind of the weekend (gusty ,but thankfully warm) I figured if the sky wasn't a good showing it wasn't worth the trip with the water not being very reflective, so I stayed local again. On the way back to this location I found this scene. . .

This area falls into shadow earlier than in the higher fields, but it has some f/g elements and a nice view into the center interest. In retrospect I should have been here near sunset. But I went back to that field from the prior day (rather, another field near the prior evening's elevation and location).

Better light than the evening before. Waited around further, just because it was so pleasant. Started the ride back as it got dark. Stopped again on the way, at a dirt road that the beavers are flooding out. The peepers and frog chorus was as enchanting as it was loud. The harmonics they produced reverberated in my head - at times I thought I heard dogs barking and mumbled voices within the chorus. Love that experience. The moon was out, so I lingered and took out the tripod.

The conflict was to keep the shutter short enough to avoid excessively distracting streaks of stars, but in doing that I found I had to raise the exposure in post. In the field on the LCD the exposures looked brighter, but that's what happens at night (deceiving). And there was much noise for that (he frowned). I should have upped the ISO somewhat, in retrospect.

Stars cloned out.

Oh, yea. . . I was to give you a ride. . .

Back in town this week, for the scheduled meet up I decided to work w/o tripod, as since the meet-ups started I haven't worked w/o the tripod. Being able to mix it up like this, with the array of glass this format takes, is one of the joys of this format afaic.

This would be better, I think, if the top were cropped a bit. That center tower draws my eye to the top of the frame looking for the peak of the building as it is here.

I'm fortunate to have both NYC and a refuge in the country to try to exploit. To exploit them better. . . is the work in progress.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Wow.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow