Upgrade for a Nex-5n: should I go for alpha-6000 or alpha-7?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
Cortgen2
New MemberPosts: 21
Like?
Re: Upgrade for a Nex-5n: should I go for alpha-6000 or alpha-7?
In reply to tokumeino, 3 months ago

tokumeino wrote:

To my point of view : since you have very good lenses like the 24mm/1.8 and the 50mm/1.8, I would not recomend to switch.

If 24mm is a focal length you like for a crop format, you would have to replace it by the 35mm, wich is only f/2.8 in FE. Thus, you'll have the same DOF control with the A6000 than with the A7, and the 1-stop faster lens will compensate the 1-stop high ISO difference between the two formats.You'll be able to make equivalent photos with the two systems (where equivalent implies frame, DOF, noise). I wouldn't have said the same if your favorite "normal" focal length was 50mm (FF equiv, thus 35mm in crop format).

The A7 would mainly give you a Dynamic Range increase, but DR with APSC sensors are still quite high. And I wouldn't trade that against a fast AF (if accurate as well, let's see comprehensive tests). Not mentionning the price...

Cortgen2 wrote:

Hi guys,

My name is Alessio and I'm new in the forum, though I've been frequently reading it. I'm in the middle of the exhausting and sometimes frustrating process of taking such a harsh decision...jumping toward a more complete and moving photography experience.

I'm a (not so much anymore) happy owner of a nex-5n with sel1855, sel50f18, sel24f18 and sel55210. I always shoot M, sometimes A and S, and never in auto. Now I would love to improve my photography experience...before nex 5n I owned a canon eos rebel strike with some lenses.

I've never shot with a full frame camera and have no clue about how it would be. The web is full of pictures taken with both cameras, but it's so hard to find photos coming right out of the camera, as most of the time they are PP processed. Unfortunately, I live in a place where I can't rent some equipments to try out before taking the decision.

Alpha 6000 fascinates me as it is a 5n with everything (well, almost...) that the 5n misses, and it seems to have an improved IQ.

However, I'm much more attracted by the alpha 7. I was wondering whether taking an alpha 7 with the 35mm lens would really feel like you have something different in your hands, especially when you look at pictures. Is the difference in Dynamic range between FF and APS-C sensors so noticeable? Does it make a difference when you look at the photo? And what about color depth and fidelity? is the alpha 7 so much bigger than the 6000?

I have been reading tens of reviews, forums and comments and I'm more confused than before, as usual. We are of course talking about two different price tags, but lets give this point out of our conversation.

You can imagine how grateful I would be if you could help me making up my mind.

thanks!

Yes I like the 24mm focal lenght in crop mode, and I would love to have wide angle lenses as well, and may be to try some legacy lenses, though this would be a completely new world for me...

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow