a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Doug Aiien
Regular MemberPosts: 110Gear list
Like?
Re: a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras
In reply to Sandy70, 6 months ago

This site can be very confusing and very enlightening. Most here are enthusiasts with great knowledge of the technical aspects of photography and the strengths and weaknesses of every kind and make of camera. There's a very challenging learning curve to even understand the subtle arguments of many of the forums. If you want to take good pictures on holiday, you don't need to understand much about cameras or photography. Almost any camera you can buy at Walmart or Target is better than what Ansel Adams and Eliot Porter used. It's hard to go wrong! So unless the technical and hobby aspects of photography are your main interest, just buy a camera, first learn to use it in automatic mode, and then learn to use it in other modes. If you have specialized interests such as fast action sports photography, wildlife photography, or night photography- then you need more information, and it's all available online here, but seldom required to take good pictures on holiday. My preference for an all- round camera is one of the small sensor, long telephoto "bridge" cameras which can do almost everything pretty well, but are not outstanding in any area. If I could take only one camera with me on holiday, it would be my Canon SX-40.

Doug Allen

Canon SX-40

Olympus OMD EM5 and 300mm

older SLRs

https://www.flickr.com/photos/carolinabutterflies/

Doug Aiien's gear list:Doug Aiien's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX40 HS Olympus OM-D E-M5 Sony a6000 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow