FD to M43 focal reducer problem, also which FD lens do you suggest ?

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
adygadam
Junior MemberPosts: 29Gear list
Like?
FD to M43 focal reducer problem, also which FD lens do you suggest ?
3 months ago

Hello All,

I own a Panasonic GH3 and 4 days ago took the plunge finally after a long debate on speedboosters/focal reducers and ordered a focal reducer FD to M43 from here:

Camdiox Focal Reducer FD to M43

I also ordered an adapter: Canon FD to M43 adapter

A got myself a Canon FD 50mm F1:1.4 S.S.C. lens which is amazing ! No dust specs or fungus and in excellent condition.

The adapter worked like a charm, I was able to change the aperture from F16 down to F1.4 and I believe the FF equivalent focal length would be 100mm (50mm x 2), bokeh was amazing a this makes this lens an excellent short distance portrait lens.

The problem was with the focal reducer, I was only able to stop down to F4.8, after that the aperture was the same to F16. On the contrary the adapter allowed me to stop down to F16.

I have noticed that when I mount the lens to the adapter the chrome ring will turn around 2 inches until it tightens, whereas with the focal reducer it will turn around 4/8 of an inch before it tightens.

Is this normal ? Is the focal reducer faulty ?

Apart from being unable to stop down any lower than F4.8 using the focal reducer, the focus is working alright and the FF equivalent focal length I believe is now 72mm (50mm x 0.72 x 2) with an amazing F1.0!.

I have the following native M43 lens:

Olympus Zuiko 12mm F1:2.0

Panasonic Lumix G X 12-35mm F1:2.8

Also I have the following FD lens:

Canon FD 50mm F1:1.4 S.S.C. (with adapter: 100mm F1.4, with focal reducer: 72mm F1.0)

Tokina ATX SD 80-200mm F1:2.8 (bought recently)(with adapter: 160-400mm F2.8, with focal reducer: 115-288mm F2 !)

I am thinking about buying this one:

Canon FD 35mm F1:2.0 S.S.C. (with adapter: 70mm F2.0, with focal reducer: 50mm F1.4)

What do you suggest for a close alternative to what you can get from a Voigtlander 25mm (FF=50mm) F0.95, I guess this Canon FD35mm with a focal reducer will be the best you can get on FD ?

Many thanks.

adygadam's gear list:adygadam's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow