Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
tqlla
Senior MemberPosts: 1,625Gear list
Like?
Re: Case closed: use it if the QP of your filter is high!
In reply to Michel J, 6 months ago

Michel J wrote:

Tripod was used I guess?

Here you tend to confirm my post above, since it depends of the combo lens/filter used (since I noticed it's very picky between the choice of two copy of the same lens w/ VS w/o), the only thing left for us is to try on, imho... BUT: as you wrote, no visible difference with an excellent filter VS without, so why not mounting a filter with a walkaround lens?!? (And more).

OTOH it seems to be you don't tried in such light situations which these filters are made for (faulty lens haze nor UV colour cast...). I regret it, but it's a good news as well, since that proves the lack of harmfullness in a "normal lighting situation".

I think the case can be closed like this: "evaluation of benefit/risk depending of the way we use (and we care of) our gear".

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Yes, I used a tripod, but I left SSS on.

As far as using the filter, for times they are meant for, I will try to test again when summer arrives. I am really only concerned about protecting my lenses from scratches and cleaning.

The Quantaray filters I bought when Ritz was closing. I have tons of the old DMC-UV filters, and quite a few of the Pro Digital Filters. (I was forced to buy them, to get a bigger discount on other stuff).

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony SLT-A99 NEX5R Sony 50mm F1.4 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow