a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,735Gear list
Like?
Re: a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras
In reply to Sandy70, 5 months ago

Sandy70 wrote:

I would love to take out of the box photographs. I was considering buying a DSLR.

I read some articles on opinions page on this web site. Some senior photographers mentioned that compact cameras Image quality is as good as those of a DSLR, especially in an era where most digital photos will land up being seen on web pages. We are not talking about professionals who print. He felt the difference in IQ was not worth the pain carrying the gears around when on a holiday. He hasn't used his DSLR for sometime now. There were others too who agreed with him. There would be people who would not admit this since they already own a DSLR. Wanted honest opinions.

Am I craving wrongly for something that's going to be short lived?.

Would it mean concentrating on camera more than the holiday?

Even a camera phone or cheap point and shoot camera can have excellent image quality in the right conditions. Same is true of compact cameras. As conditions become more challenging like lower light or sports and birds in flight that's when you need a more capable camera.

Large sensor mirrorless cameras do fine in low light. Focus tracking of moving subjects remains the biggest weakness of compact cameras. If you don't plan on photographing moving subjects then a compact camera can be a good choice.

If you want a dSLR and want to future proof your purchase. Look at the Canon EOS system. Lenses and accessories you buy for your dSLR will be fully functional on their future mirrorless cameras. The flash I purchased for my CAnon EOS M serves double duty with my Canon EOS 6D. Canon also has the lead in on sensor auto focus with their Dual Pixel AF system.

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow