Gear advice needed (Zoom lens in the 50 to 200-300mm range )

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Mrik
Forum MemberPosts: 99Gear list
Like?
Re: Gear advice needed (Zoom lens in the 50 to 200-300mm range )
In reply to math guy, 5 months ago

math guy wrote:

Mrik wrote:

I think I need to change my photography habits to improve my skills.

I would recommend doing that first. Then buy a new lens if needed.

I have the 55-300 and find it to be a very good outdoor/good light lens. But you might find that the 50-200 suits your needs just fine, with no need for an upgrade. It sounds like you haven't spent much time shooting that lens, so how do you know you need a better lens?

When I know I need a new lens is when, after using what I currently have, I can't get the results I am looking for. For example, last year I began shooting Little League baseball. I quickly found I needed a wider aperture than the 55-300 had in order to get good separation from the background. But it was only then that I bought a 70-200/2.8, after experience told me that what I currently had wasn't good enough for my new needs.

First thanks for you input.

Well I didn't use the 50-200mm much because I found it lacking sharpness, and also because I usually nedded it around the longer focal, which ment higher iso, hence noisier pictures with the k-7...

I think It would be better in that regard with the K-5II, but I also want to buy a new one because of the extra 100mm.

And because I'm trying to get my wife to use the K-7, so she'll be left in the wild with the kit lenses (at first).

Mrik's gear list:Mrik's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-5 II Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Pentax smc DA 50-200mm F4-5.6 ED WR +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow