The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
fcheh
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?
Re: The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!
In reply to chkproductions, 8 months ago

chkproductions wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

I'd argue though ...

All good points and sorry to edit your post. To me, "argue" is the operative word in all of this. We could argue endlessly and never come to absolute. I went back and reread the OP post. My take away is he wants a non-processed, take it or leave it, just as I shot it forum. Good idea. It would be interesting to see a growing collection of shots that have had nothing done outside of the framing, exposure and click of the shutter. But he doesn't say if in camera processing is then allowed, which is post-processing. And is it just JPEGs or RAWs processed with all default settings from just one software imaging program. So just what is the controlling criteria of a "just as it happened" shot.

As for your comment about just dropping off film to the chemist - I knew a person that shot and only had his film straight processed from a one hour lab. At the time he was the world's known shooter of - ya, ready - seashells. He shot only in the early and late light. Had his 4x6 prints and chromes and that was it. Nothing more. At the time, made a good living off making a yearly calender and note cards. So I guess what I'm saying is "To each, their own"

And for me I still miss that tactile experience of the darkroom process. But I do know it has given me a better understanding and control of the current digital processes. Just the experience of burning and dodging a negative and the subtle differences and corrections it can make in the final print translates seamlessly into the digital process.

Cheers

chk

(My take away is he wants a non-processed, take it or leave it, just as I shot it forum. Good idea. It would be interesting to see a growing collection of shots that have had nothing done outside of the framing, exposure and click of the shutter.)

First I would like to thank everyone for the lively discussion absolutely great thought provoking ideology.

I believe (chkphotography.zenfolio.com) hit the nail on the head. My thought was a site for the obvious and simple concept that I adhere to " Let the image do the talking, the original image good or bad to push our creative muse to the limit in that time and place". RAW is good let's say the equalizer so that the artist can present to the world the RAW passion, excitement, execution, composition what was going on in his creative mind when he released the shutter.

All other forms photography are absolutely valid and are needed to move forward BUT to have a base to start from or refer back to is also required. If we want to learn and expand our intellectually passionate creative interest in photography then we need this base as a reference to create from and move forward to.

Frank S Cheh
chehartphotograhy.smugmug.com

fcheh's gear list:fcheh's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow