V3 vs V1

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,309Gear list
Like?
For ME, the RX100 does compete against the Nikon 1 - and beats it!
In reply to Scottelly, 8 months ago

Well Scottelly,

I tend to believe that it is not the companies who decide what competes against what - the consumers do.

For me, the need in this case is, small pocketable camera with solid IQ, at a fair price.  Very fast AF not needed as I don't do BIFs or running animals or running kids with that camera - if I want running kids I just take out my Nikon DSLR (which of course won't happen if the running kids happen to be during a mountain hike, or a daily commute, or a business trip, etc - because the DSLR is just too big and heavy).

For these needs, I see that the Sony RX100 II is smaller than a Nikon "1" equipped with any lens, is lighter (the Nikon weighs about the same as the Sony but for the body only - then you need to add a 28-100mm equivalent and fairly fast lens).  And it is a good deal cheaper, actually about half the price of the Nikon 1 V3 with basic kit - and you'd need to buy another lens to get to the same 28-100 equivalent.

So, for ME, the Sony not only is a competitor to the Nikon 1, but actually it trounces it on any dimension, except the very fast continuous shooting which is not something I care about.

And I'm obviously not the only one to think this, because the RX100 I flew off the shelves and was never discounted, then came the RX100 II which is again flying off the shelves and never discounted, and in the meantime when I see Nikon 1's in the stores they're always gathering dust and if not the latest model then they're easily discounted by 50% if not more, clearly signalling that simply no one is buying them.

Frankly I just don't get how Nikon could fail so miserable with this product line.  It's like instead of putting together a solid team with their best talent (and there is a LOT of solid talent at Nikon), they had someone very influential unilaterally decide to entrust the design of the whole system to a close friend or family member with next to no knowledge of photography.  And when they saw the result and how pathetic it was but decided it was too late to go back to square one, they asked the engineers to please try to save the situation by adding ONE unique features - and they managed to add very fast continuous AF.

It's a sad, sad, sad story.  How to so completely fail a product when you have so much talent available, and when you don't have the luxury to fail because the market is becoming really tough.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MoreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow