V3 vs V1

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,158Gear list
Like?
Scott I own a Nikon DSLR but the Nikon 1 does not seduce me
In reply to Scottelly, 6 months ago

Scott,

you made the statement that the Nikon 1 system would seem like the natural mirrorless system to go for, if coming from the Nikon world.

Well, here's my example.  Nikon D7000 DSLR, 85mm f1.4 and a couple other lesser lenses.  A DSLR is nice but frankly, I have hated to need to fine-tune the AF, the AF on non-moving targets is solid but not as solid as that on my iPhone or my compact cameras, the live-view AF is horribly slow and often fails to lock, there is no video with AF nor stereo sound (and in any case it picks up AF noises which are massive).  And of course it is too big and heavy to be taken everywhere.

So when Nikon announced a mirrorless system, I looked.  I thought they would come up with something very cool, with great ergonomics, and great photographic features, and at a competitive price.  Instead they came up with heavy and ergonomically pathetic boxes with photographic features hidden in menus, at a very high an uncompetitive price - and they said that because of the fast AF and that you could recycle your Nikon glass on them, this was alright.  But no, it was not alright at all.

So now a couple years later Nikon seem to finally have come up with ergonomics that are pretty good - why it took them so many product iterations, totally beats me, it's like they let someone with no knowledge of photography, design these boxes.

But they still crippled the bodies with a sensor which rates around 50 on DxO Mark when Sony-made 1" sensors are closer to 60 and above - so Nikon targets supposedly demanding photographers, but only those demanding photographers who are OK to have an inferior sensor?

What about the price?  Well if you are OK to have less enthusiast features and less direct buttons then yes the price is almost becoming competitive.  But if you want all those features an enthusiast will demand, then you can still buy TWO Sony RX100 II, or 1.5 times any other solid camera (such as a Panasonic GX7 kit), for the money that a Nikon V3 costs.

So apparently Nikon continue to believe that their existing customers are idiots who will pay up for the honor to be able to use their lenses (for which they paid top dollar) on a mirrorless body with an inferior sensor.  Nope, sorry Nikon, I hate what you're doing.

Here is what I would want from you Nikon:

- a mirrorless body with superb ergonomics, I mean look at how you DSLR ergonomics compare with other DSLRs, and take the same spot in mirrorless.  You can do it, if you let the people who know about photography at Nikon, do the design

- a solid sensor.  Perhaps your historical relationship with Sony is at an all-time low, I don't know.  But the fact is that they made great sensors for you in the past, actually your image processing skills typically allowed you to extract much better IQ from these sensors, than Sony cameras did!  So kick the Aptina sensor out and use something that delivers better IQ.  If this comes at the cost of continous shooting with AF being, say, "only" 10fps, then personally I couldn't care less.

- competitive pricing.  I don't care about your costs.  And I don't think you should either, at least initially.  If you had priced the "1" competitively initially, maybe you would have sold it in large enough numbers to reap economies of scale and be able to make better margins on lenses and accessories.  So sell me that enthusiast-friendly "1" camera for no higher than, say, a Panasonic GX7 kit - this is 800 dollars, not 1200 dollars, i.e. cut your price by one-third please.  And throw-in the FT adapter for existing Nikon glass, for free.

If you do all this, I'll be running to the store to get my Nikon "1" system, and think that you are great again.  As it stands, I think you are completely missing the ball, and completely not interested in what your existing Nikon DSLR owners, are thinking.  But you should.  In the meantime I'm not buying another camera from you ever, Nikon, and neither am I adding any accessories to my DSLR because it is an obsolete design.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MoreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow