a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
WryCuda
Senior MemberPosts: 1,894
Like?
Re: a bit confused: practicality of DSLR vs non DSLR cameras
In reply to Sandy70, 3 months ago

Sandy70 wrote:

I would love to take out of the box photographs. I was considering buying a DSLR.

I read some articles on opinions page on this web site. Some senior photographers mentioned that compact cameras Image quality is as good as those of a DSLR, especially in an era where most digital photos will land up being seen on web pages.

Would it mean concentrating on camera more than the holiday?

A decent DSLR gives you flexibility. Short zooms for holidays; Long zooms for chasing birds; Prime lenses for special stuff. -Also plenty of controls to get the picture you want.

Non-DSLR covers a multitude of compromises. Chief among them is an unsatisfactory viewfinder. Many of the better "mirrorless" cameras are darn near as bulky as DSLRs. At the cheap end, $50 cameras are usable in good conditions. There is a $3000 compact from Sony that isn't too bad.

Some of us enjoy the process of getting the gear ready for a holiday. I take a camera bag with a small DSLR and a couple of lenses; doesn't cause a problem.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow