Thom finally resurfaces, with comments sure to be controversial, at least here ...

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Anthony Medici
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,679Gear list
Like?
Can you show some?
In reply to TomUW, 5 months ago

TomUW wrote:

I've been to Galapagos, and shooting birds in flight with my Canon 1dN consistently nailing the focus, I never once thought "gee I could do with better focus".

But then, I'm used to shooting wildlife underwater, which is considerably more difficult than birds.

I found it to be easy to shoot the wildlife underwater with my Nikon 1 AW 1 and 10mm lens. Set it at F2.8, let it focus at what ever it wants to and fire away. Since I was only pointing the camera at the subject, it wasn't that I had (or needed) a lot of control underwater. Very few shots were deleted due to focus issues. Many, many more were deleted due to the subject being too far away (and too small in the frame.)

As for the birds, I thought I did rather well though some were much more difficult than others. No problems with Frigate Birds, Pelicans, Gulls, Waved Albatross, Flamingo, Cormorants, Penguins, Hawks, Owls or Red-billed Tropicbirds. It those could fly, I got them doing it and I got the Penguin and cormorant swimming. The tough ones were the Finches in flight and the Storm-Petrel in flight. For those, the camera was much more likely to lock onto land or sea than the bird though I did manage a few Storm-Petrel after trying for a long time.

I'd love to see your Storm-Petrel or Finches in flight from there.

Anthony Medici's gear list:Anthony Medici's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow