Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OvinceZ
Senior MemberPosts: 2,582Gear list
Like?
Moon. A7R vs NEX7 @ 1000mm
3 months ago

I finally got around to comparing the two Sonys with the Canon 500L with the 2XIII tele-extender. Last night the Moon was almost overhead. Had to reverse the gimbal head to avoid the camera hitting the tripod. This made locking onto the Moon rather tricky because of the weight of the lens in this high position. Also had to wait for some clouds to disappear.

With the A7R I used a remote control. NEX7 I used the 2 second timer. Focus peaking was relied on but I checked with magnified view. I had to use the LCD because I couldn't look into the viewfinder. The camera LCD was almost parallel to the ground. Good thing both cameras have a tilting LCD.

Both RAW photos edited in Camera Raw Filter in Photoshop. Then Perfect Effects Dynamic Contrast to bring out more detail. Minimum sharpening. No noise reduction or minimal. Both posted here at full size jpgs with no reduction in size or pixels. Had to paint out the thousands of red dots in the black.

I used f/8 1/400 sec ISO100 on both cameras.

I won't be retiring the NEX7 just yet!

Vince

Sony A7R @ 1000mm

Sony NEX7 @ 1000mm

OvinceZ's gear list:OvinceZ's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 60D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +14 more
Sony Alpha 7R Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow