Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
A Owens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,256
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to LesGoodey, 8 months ago

LesGoodey wrote:

Hello, I have been a professional photographer since 1974 working in the Commercial, Military and Education areas. I use Phase medium format equipment in my day job and Canon 5D and 5D11 personally. I recently bought a Nikon D800 with a Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 for myself and after hundreds of shots I have yet to find a single one that I am happy with!

I have scoured the internet looking for information on achieving sharp images and downloaded as many real world samples as I can find and I have to say I don't think those are any better.

I am talking about hand held shots inparticular and although I'm getting on a bit I don't think I shake that much.

I notice that most recommendations are for higher ISO and shutter speeds than you might otherwise have used.

Here is a full size out of the camera jpeg for your comments:

If you want to evaluate the jpeg engine of a camera then  by all means evaluate an out of camera JPEG. But to evaluate a lens/sensor, as your post implies you wish to do,  you really need to evaluate a processed raw file and disclose your processing settings.  JPEG's introduce too many variables.

That said a couple of thoughts; 1. the edges of that lens are very soft, 2. a D800 at pixel level will never look as sharp as a 5d - you really need to compare at print size, 3. the D800 is brutal on sub-par lenses whereas a lower resolution camera such as the 5d will flatter them, 4, image stabilisation will only degrade IQ at these higher shutter speeds,  5. my experience with the 800e is that very good lenses and very careful technique are essential to realise the resolution potential,

my thoughts FWIW!

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow