Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,370
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to wisep01, 3 months ago

wisep01 wrote:

It's a high-contrast scene--strong backlighting (of green leaves) and side-lighting (of the grass). There were two areas of blown highlights: (1) the sky and (2) the grass.

In all likelihood, he attempted to fix the former by selectively blending in a separate exposure (either another capture or a RAW file under-exposed). However, the layer mask selection boundary is too abrupt (not enough feathering).

Regarding the latter, he did not attempt to fix it. The grass has blown highlights and there is an apparent loss of detail there.

I don't know whether this qualifies as a total "catastrophe," however.

Yea, I messed up. Quick-and-dirty processing in Lightroom 5. I was in a hurry and mainly interested in showing sharpness at 100%. Exposure was mainly done with Auto, which increased the exposure too much. The attempt at using a Brush layer was done too hastily and not inspected carefully. I've replaced the image with a version I like better. YMMV.

It is one image, no stacking. Shot directly into the Sun (which is behind a branch) in late afternoon.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow