Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
rpps
Senior MemberPosts: 1,312Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to LesGoodey, 6 months ago

I have this lens and a D600 and I have a love hate relationship with this lens, at times it's sharp but other times it can be very soft around the edges of the frame or borders like this shot of yours. I find with my lens is if I shoot square onto the target it's fine but at an angle like this shot of yours I have a similar problem the LHS is soft. I would like to see another photo of this scene but with you standing more square to those buildings just to see if the image is sharper.

I have sent my lens off to Tamron to have the focus re-calibrated as I don't have this problem with my Nikon 50mm f 1.8, 35mm F2 or the older 28-105mm Nikon lens. I think you should use another lens like the 50mm f 1.8G on your D800 and you would be quiet amazed by the IQ and sharpness of the camera.I have a D5200 and the Tamron 17-50mm f 2.8 non VC version and that lens is much sharper across the whole frame from f4 upwards unlike my 24-70mm lens. From now on I'm mainly going to use primes with my D600 and use my zooms with the D5200.

Here's a couple of examples of the blurriness I get with my Tamron on the LHS when shot at an angle similar to this photo of yours.

rpps's gear list:rpps's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow