Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Leonard Shepherd
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,655Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to LesGoodey, 7 months ago

It is difficult to comment, because the exact issue is not clear.

The railings front left are quite sharp and the boat is reasonably sharp. A pro should know at f8 there is not enough depth of field to get the background sharp as well.

I am sure as an ex pro you know getting the railings and the boat within the depth of field available is extremely unlikely using medium format.

While 2x focal length is wise hand holding for a 30 inch wide print the reproduction here is much smaller so the shutter speed should normally be fast enough.

You have not said where you focussed - but it seems not in the right place to get the background sharp.

You have failed to achieve the quality the D800 and a very good (as distinct from best) lens can deliver. As to why ideally needs more information than you have given for a precise answer.

Are other shots sharp?

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Producing good quality photographs, or being good at sport or art, involves a little more than buying appropriate equipment. Practice, some learning and perhaps natural talent often play a bigger role than the equipment in your hands.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow