Is the Panasonic 14-45 the best "kit" zoom?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
jalywol
jalywol MOD
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,395Gear list
Like?
Re: Well, it depends....
In reply to photofan1986, 8 months ago

photofan1986 wrote:

The observation about the colour balance of the 14-45 is interesting. I recently compared my new 12-32 to the 14-45 on the same camera, and could not tell any difference regarding colour balance. What are the things you noticed?

You can actually see it in some of the test shots on some camera test sites, if you dig a bit.  The 14-45mm has a blue/cool tendency to the overall image.  If you look at foliage taken with it vs from even the not so wonderful regular Panasonic 14-42mm (a lens that I also do not like, but that is mostly because every copy of it that I have tried has had ghastly corner distortion and not great contrast...but the color rendition was pretty neutral), the foliage looks almost blue-green rather than green.  It was very consistent that way (and, as I said, I could see it in test shots from other than my copy).  It also did this on both the Panasonic and Oly cameras, with all different sensors, so it was not a particular camera/lens interaction.

Try it yourself when you get some nice full dark green summer foliage.  It's not a particularly subtle characteristic.

The 12-32mm seems to render overall colors very nicely, no complaints yet in my own images.

-J

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow