Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ormdig
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to LesGoodey, 8 months ago

Hi Les, have you used some other lenses? You say all of your images are like this. Is that with just the 24-70? I don't think this is camera and I don't see any "technique" issues. At 1/400 and f8 something should be sharp. I don't see any evidence of the kind of blur you would get with camera movement, it's just softer than it should be. The edges are way off but that is a known with the Tamron 24-70. If you have used other lenses and are getting the same results then the camera would be my suspect.
Again, I don't see the kind of blurriness that would result from camera movement, even shutter slap, which I don't think would be factor at 1/400 sec. The ISO isn't high enough to impact the image like this.

So no, this is not what you should expect from the D800. It can deliver incredible images, handheld, and really incredible images on a tripod. The image quality should be significantly better than either of the 5Ds. If this lens is the only one you have tried, borrow another from someone and try it. Good luck,

-- hide signature --

Pete

ormdig's gear list:ormdig's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow