Is this the best I can expect from D800?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
rubank
Contributing MemberPosts: 619Gear list
Like?
Re: Is this the best I can expect from D800?
In reply to Robin Casady, 8 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

LesGoodey wrote:

Hello, I have been a professional photographer since 1974 working in the Commercial, Military and Education areas. I use Phase medium format equipment in my day job and Canon 5D and 5D11 personally. I recently bought a Nikon D800 with a Tamron SP 24-70 f2.8 for myself and after hundreds of shots I have yet to find a single one that I am happy with!

I have scoured the internet looking for information on achieving sharp images and downloaded as many real world samples as I can find and I have to say I don't think those are any better.

I am talking about hand held shots inparticular and although I'm getting on a bit I don't think I shake that much.

I notice that most recommendations are for higher ISO and shutter speeds than you might otherwise have used.

Here is a full size out of the camera jpeg for your comments:

Nikon D800 Tamron SP24-70 f2.8 - 400th sec at f8 - 250 ISO

If you are concerned with critical sharpness at 100%, and are used to medium format digital, I wonder why you chose a D800 rather than a D800E? However, as others have said, the problem is probably with the lens. It seems quite soft at the edges.

This is what a D800E image with a AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED lens should look like. Sharpening in Lightroom 5 was 50, 0.5, 50, 21. A D800 image would require more sharpening.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please."
—Mark Twain

What the H... have you done to that picture? It looks like total catastrophe, and is indeed not typical of D800 (or the E).

Sorry for being harsh, but you said this is what it should look like....

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
No.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow