Sigma: the new L?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Blake Cook
Senior MemberPosts: 2,237Gear list
Like?
Re: Possibilities from the fringe of possibilities notwithstanding..
In reply to technic, 7 months ago

technic wrote:

Blake Cook wrote:

technic wrote:

But I don't agree that top quality means that you have to use a bright (f/1.4 or something) lens with all the weight, size and cost that goes with it. I'm looking forward to a much smaller f/2.0 50-55mm Otus or Sigma, but I guess they will never build one because it is commercially not attractive.

They already have built one. It's the Zeiss f/2 50mm Macro-Planar. Only the Otus is superior with a very slight edge in the centre and a bit more in the corners. (I have both lenses)

I guess the Macro-Planar is a VERY different design, optically (haven't checked but Planar usually indicates the design). A retrofocus design with excellent macro properties sounds unlikely to me. But if they can make an f/2 lens with great macro and almost the same quality as the Otus, they could probably make an f/2 Otus (without macro) with even higher quality

I use the 50 f/2 almost exclusively for landscapes. I don't know about you comments above, but it's anything but just a macro lens.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28305360@N00/10415501706/in/set-72157636299817634/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28305360@N00/10142714935/in/set-72157636299817634/

But adding macro to the slower lens is commercially a good idea, because it separates the lens from 'normal' (usually cheap) standard lenses and allows them to ask a much higher price.

-- hide signature --

Blake in Vancouver
Canon and Zeiss Stuff. Mac Stuff & annoying PC & Windows stuff.

Blake Cook's gear list:Blake Cook's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Eh?New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow