Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Photo-Wiz
Senior MemberPosts: 1,580Gear list
Like?
A Few Thoughts on GX1 II after using for 1 day
4 months ago

I got the GX1 II yesterday and have been having fun taking pictures.  The early posts of photos I saw on Dpreview had me concerned that the the camera had problems taking sharp pictures.  My concerns were quickly alleviated, as the camera does indeed take very sharp photos.  The metering is very good...as always, I use - 1/3 setting.

I set the rear dial to Exposure Compensation, so that it would be uniform no matter which mode I am in.  I didn't like the idea that it would sometimes be on the front inner dial, and sometimes  on the front outer dial, etc.   I like it to always be in the same place, and so using the rear dial works very well.

The MF (Manual Focus) button is a little too easy to press accidentally.  As long as you are mindful of that, it is easy enough to avoid pressing accidentally.

I use the "S" shortcut button for metering modes.

The camera has a very nice solid feel.  But for a camera that I plan to use as a carry everywhere camera, it is a smidgen to large and weighty.  It will fit in my front pants pocket...but not easily.  It feels like you are walking around with a brick.  I have a Sony RX100 which is much smaller, lighter, and easily fits in pants pockets.

I took about 100 comparison shots using the RX100 and the G1XII.  The IQ of these two cameras is very close.  Surprisingly the G1XII has a tiny bit more noise. Both have great sharpness and color.  As far as IQ, (I'm comparing JPEGS only), it is a toss up between the two cameras.

But G1X II does have the advantage of having a lens that goes wider, and longer.  On the other hand, the Sony has the advantage of being lighter, much smaller, and much easier to carry in your pants pocket.

There are other differences, such as the aperture as you extend the lens, and the tilting LCD screen on the Canon.

That's all for now.

Photo-Wiz's gear list:Photo-Wiz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow