Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,009Gear list
Like?
Re: Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.
In reply to Allan Olesen, 5 months ago

Allan Olesen wrote:

Michel J wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

heliguy wrote:

I cracked 2 uv filters last year, both Times they saved the front element from damage. So I really don't care @ the iq debate......

I will ask the same question to you as I did earlier in the thread:

How do you know that the filters saved the front element?

I personnaly saved the front element, when my 28-135mm knock a marble floor, attached to my Minolta 9000.

And I will ask for the third time in this thread:

How do you know that the front element was saved?

Because my first job was to study about static's, dynamics, strength of materials, engineering materials, and that give you some idea. For exemple the moment is equal to zéro for this kind of impact point. Reason why the dissipation of forces have its repartition on the very first lens and why the glass can't resist, because this material can't resist to a flexion effort, imho. Same reason why we fill steel inside concrete into critical zones only.... Reason why we put a foil of polymer inside laminated windscreen, and so on...

A shattered filter glass is not a proof that anything would have damaged the front element.

In your case, the filter ring probably did some protection. And as I have written many times before, I think that a glassless filter ring is a good idea because it will add actual protection.

But the filter glass certainly did not save anything in your case.

Of course yes, the glass will absorb and distribute forces inside its structure, and can resist until the rupture (not much, because its very quickly in this case)!

Actually the presence of filter glass will only increase the risk of damage to the front element when you drop a camera. There are several stories of a front element being damaged by shattered filter glass after dropping the camera.

If yes, with a same huge impact and same repartition of forces, it surely want to destroy the front element as well, no matter if you screwed a filter or not!

Anyway, the little likelihood of such big impact, is not in favour of the absence of a filter.

-- hide signature --

Cordialement,
Michel J
« Shoot RAW+ ...think JPEG »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow