Thom finally resurfaces, with comments sure to be controversial, at least here ...

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
CraigArnold
Contributing MemberPosts: 523Gear list
Like?
Re: Thom finally resurfaces, with comments sure to be controversial, at least here ...
In reply to photoreddi, 7 months ago

photoreddi wrote:

Quoting the last part of his article focusing on ... focus.

Sure, keep up the sensor improvements, but that’s not where you’re going to win any new customers these days.

Perhaps if the camera companies were actually out shooting with their cameras, they’d realize the problems they really need to address.

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/its-the-focus-nikon-should.html

The thing I object to is not that any of the specific details of what he said is wrong, but the whole tone of the piece is very objectionable.

According to Thom the camera manufacturers, who are producing engineering marvels year after year, are stupid: none of them actually shoot with the cameras they produce, and if only they bothered to consult Thom, or Lloyd or some other chap with an ego inflated beyond all reason, then they would see the light and understand what was really important.

All their engineers, all their market research, all their imaging research, optical engineers, software engineers, image processing research, chip manufacturing and development. All rubbish. What they really need is Thom to point them in the right direction.

For myself I could care less how difficult it is to shoot small birds in flight in the Galapagos, but that's presumably because I'm too stupid to understand the world according to Thom.

Such delusions of of grandeur to think that he (and those like him) really know what's important, and that the people who make these cameras are all fools. It actually makes me nauseous.

-- hide signature --
 CraigArnold's gear list:CraigArnold's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha 7R Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow