Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
mosswings
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,950Gear list
Like?
Re: not so
In reply to trac63, 6 months ago

trac63 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

No, the shot was taken -1.3EV to keep from blowing highlights on the right. +1.3 EC applied in post then 30% shadow recovery. A pretty common practice when exposing using the histogram and paying particular attention to blown highlights. Very common in normal day to day shooting, at least in my case.

Here is the untouched...not your normal 5 stop to show banding pull but more a normal (relative) correction one might do when trying to avoid blowing highlights moderately.

A quick look at the look at the EXIF information:

History Parameters : converted from image/x-nikon-nef to image/dng, saved to new location, converted from image/dng to image/jpeg, saved to new location

This particular version of the image has been converted at least twice, and you can clearly see that he was working on a TIFF image from the RAWTherapee screen shot.

I would be curious to see the original OOC JPEG (and RAW file for that matter).

Personally, I think it's extremely optimistic to shoot directly into window light like this and expect a good photograph to come out of it.

I think Shunda's original point was that the D7000, D600, D800, and D5300 don't generate such artifacts in the first place - and that this was one of the market differentiators of the Nikon brand. Employing one's skill as a photographer to compensate for the imperfections in a camera is an expected part of the process, but arguing that if you were a good enough photographer you wouldn't have to worry about them is a bit glib. This recent post in Open Talk demonstrates the amount of darkroom editing that created many of the famous images we admire:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/53512382

With the exception of Henri Cartier-Bresson, are the rest of those artists bad photographers? I don't think so. Much good art comes from less-than-ideal conditions. It's a rare artist that, like Joe Cornish, can wait years for the right combination of light and scene. Perhaps we've become lazy, or perhaps it just indicates that there's not much differentiation in the camera market anymore and we fight for any scrap of advantage in our gear arguments. But we do have to realize just how difficult many interesting photographic scenes are to shoot, how the ubiquity of imagery pushes us into those danger zones in pursuit of the creation of something new and different, and therefore how much the quality of the tools we use affect the capture.

The D7100 and D5200 are, unfortunately, are in some respects departures from the last few generations of increasing IQ robustness. Other aspects have improved, but not artifacting tendencies.

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow