Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,600Gear list
Like?
Re: Sony a7 very strange issue...
In reply to j0sh, 5 months ago

j0sh wrote:

D Cox wrote:

j0sh wrote:

I don't think it's a dark bar. I think it is some kind of flare that covers all of the image except the extreme left.

Does it vary according to what direction the camera is pointed ?

Look at the release catch on your lens adapter to see if light is leaking in there. If so, stick a bit of black paper on the inside of the adapter to block the leak.

I tried that... With no luck. I posted a sample. The bar is always the same (form & size)

Well, just try wrapping a dark cloth around both the adapter and the lens mount of the camera. It could possibly be the famous light leak around the lens mount -- which again is said to be worst at the position of the release catch (the one on the camera).

The more I look at it the more it looks like a light leak.

Here is a light leak from an adapter. The subject is a very dark (badly underexposed) 35mm slide that I was digitising.

And here without the leak.

You're right.. I tried with a scarf on the lens and the leak was gone... it has to be an issue with the adapter OR the camera... I'll try with the kit lens next week.

-- hide signature --

Whatever it is, it's in both - just weaker in the second.

See that bar at left in both? Exactly what scanner are you using? That bar has multiple random breaks in it. It appears to overlap the image with a black smear behind it.

It's not a light leak. Light leaks are white in digital.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow