ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
doug wever
Regular MemberPosts: 341Gear list
Like?
Micro 4/3: Justify Or Enjoy?
7 months ago

Enthusiast or evangelist?

My middle son tells me the biggest difference between the automotive forums for Mustang and Camaro is that the Camaro crowd is constantly comparing their cars to Mustangs, whereas the Mustang crowd rarely references Camaros at all. As a Chevy owner himself my son says, "the Ford guys just don't seem to have the need to justify their choices over and against another manufacturer's product; and our forums are just littered with this kind of unnecessary chest beating."

As a recent entrant into the micro four thirds format, I was soon reminded of my son's earlier comments, and I called and asked him to repeat it for this post. Because here at 4/3 Micro it seems to be, "we are not a step down from the full size Nikons and the Canons, we belong among the serious and the pros. See here! Just look at these images at X magnification!" Or whatever. I was even reading a guy here who stated how his previous "terrible framing" was corrected by the micro 4/3 format. Really? Another asks "ex-DSLR shooters" if mirrorless has improved their photography. And yet another even starts his thread, "I know I'm preaching to the converted. . ." Great! I've been looking for a church. And on it goes.

Look, I'm smiling. I'm not trying to call anybody out here or confront, which is why I didn't post links to these or any of the other similar comments/threads, you've seen them anyway. I'm just asking, why do some of the 4/3 micro crowd feel the need to justify and even evangelize rather than just appreciate, share, learn, and make images? As a still emerging format can we illustrate our format's differences to simply learn the tool better and not succumb to this need by some to persistently justify our choices over and against the other formats, sensors, and gear? Can we just be photographic enthusiasts with a new format and hardware and go make great stuff?

I'll be out West this Fall among a small group of mildly to significantly accomplished photographers. Going to take two E-M1's (if the 40-150 f/2.8 has been released by then), no Nikons. And if someone with his D4s and massive glass gets a chuckle, fantastic! It is kind of novel at this point.

So if you want to tell me in this community about your choices in order to provide a mutually beneficial learning environment great. But if you've also got this low-grade fever that makes you feel like you have to seek legitimacy for yourself or the rest of us, I don't need that; and frankly, unless you're dealing with a skeptical client, you don't either.

Still getting used to an EVF. Here's to progress.

Respectfully submitted

*How I got in to 4/3 micro: Some time ago I stumbled upon and read a very favorable review of the OM-E E-M1 at pcmagazine.com which led me read many other E-M1 reviews with interest. I subsequently rented an OM-E E-M1 from borrow lens.com for a 10 day test drive, then bought one.

doug wever's gear list:doug wever's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Nikon D4s Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
BothNew
mmmNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow