Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
antoineb
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,108Gear list
Like?
Re: (1) way too expensive, (2) poor sensor
In reply to nunatak, 5 months ago

nunatak wrote:

antoineb wrote:

So yes, the "1" series offers wonderful autofocus, and solid AF in video. At the expense of image quality even when compared to other 1" sensor cameras.

i mistakenly thought the same thing. the real question people ought to ask, is any difference in IQ detectable? if so by whom, and/or is margin able differences in IQ correctable by someone who's PP skills is better than their photography skills? it's already better than most 35mm film available that was available in the silver age.

And for a huge price premium.

advantages in size, weight, and speed always command a premium. if these attributes don't benefit you, buy the clunker that's best for you.

So the market for the "1" is: people who mostly only shoot fast action (they will often be pros), but don't care much about the best image quality (but pros want that), and are happy to pay a large price premium. Sounds like a very, very narrow niche to me.

bird and wildlife photographers are often hobbyists. they care about quality, and so "good enough" is better than missing the boat entirely. the 1" is about convenience, and "good enough". if you're looking for perfection, try shooting 8"x10" film.

-- hide signature --

design guy

Image quality: yes you are right, even a sensor that scores only around 50 on DxO mark, will generally deliver better results than 35mm film did. Still, I think various test shots done by reviewers show that (1) I can see a pretty clear difference in IQ both resolution and higher ISOs between a Nikon 1 and my Nikon D7000 (DxO score 80 ie 60% higher than the "1" line...), and (2) same thing when comparing it with a Sony RX100.

Size, weight, and speed: Here I'm not sure I follow you. The Sony RX100 is a good deal smaller and lighter than a Nikon 1 - yet is significantly cheaper. Which means one is expected to pay a hefty premium for the Nikon 1 purely because of its fast AF and despite the fact that it is larger and heavier than a Sony RX100 (and has lower IQ).

Bird and wildlife: ok maybe. One small issue though is that there aren't any zooms for the 1 so you have to use the adapter and Nikon glass (which restricts the market to existing Nikon DSLR customers) - but according to the user's manual you can only do one shot AF with the adapter, not continuous AF, which doesn't see ideal for nature-lovers? Another issue is that the battery life isn't great. And then this: if a sensor score around 50-52 is good enough for you, then an Olympus Stylus 1 has a 28-300mm f2.8 lens, built-in, and costs $700 - so it is a lot more convenient than a Nikon V3 while delivering similar IQ and for a lot less money.

Frankly, I am not wishing for Nikon to fail. Actually I find it frustrating that a company with so much obvious skill for IQ and image processing, AF, user experience, ergonomics, can have failed so miserable with the "1" line. From the outside it feels as if they left the development of the "1" in the hands of a team of people which excluded all of their better engineers in all the areas of development (except AF), and then also excluded the costing and marketing people so that the pricing got done so wrong (perhaps as a result of costs being too high). And then they thew money at several big marketing campaigns which was just more money down the drain. But again, I think that Nikon is a great company and I would have loved for them to do this well, instead of just providing a great case study of a huge failure to business schools students.

antoineb's gear list:antoineb's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus TG-610 Nikon D7000 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MoreNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow