Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 16,233
Like?
not so
In reply to trac63, 8 months ago

trac63 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

No real shadow pushing

The banding is obvious for him but a little work can make it a non-issue.

I know what it looks like so it stands out for me, as well. Curse of knowing

Most obvious in the shadow area low and left of the child's lips.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

When I look at the EXIF data I see 1/100s, f/2.8 and ISO 250, which is probably an underexposure of around three or four stops in that scene.

No, the shot was taken -1.3EV to keep from blowing highlights on the right. +1.3 EC applied in post then 30% shadow recovery. A pretty common practice when exposing using the histogram and paying particular attention to blown highlights. Very common in normal day to day shooting, at least in my case.

Here is the untouched...not your normal 5 stop to show banding pull but more a normal (relative) correction one might do when trying to avoid blowing highlights moderately.

In addition to the (likely) underexposure he's trying to pull shadows another two or three stops because he's shooting directly into the window light with no fill flash.

Not really the case, again only a 30% slider. I personally would have considered fill flash in this situation but likely rejected it. the foreground reflections might have been harder to deal with than the slight underexposure. Pros and Cons

If anything the resulting loss of contrast creates a dull, washed-out look that is a much bigger problem than the banding in this particular photo.

Was noted and was indeed corrected

In fact every shining example of low-ISO banding I have seen is something like this.

Perhaps not as you thought it was underexposed much more dramatically than you suspected. Also note this is ISO 250. At ISO 100 the banding would actually be a bit more prominent. In any case, even here banding is not a real big deal as it's easily corrected for. No reason not to still take care not to blow highlights when one wants.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
THATNew
TrueNew
trueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow