Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
John Tait
Regular MemberPosts: 170
Like?
Re: Protective filter… or not? I say beware of filter quality.
In reply to Allan Olesen, 5 months ago

Allan Olesen wrote:

Michel J wrote:

Allan Olesen wrote:

heliguy wrote:

I cracked 2 uv filters last year, both Times they saved the front element from damage. So I really don't care @ the iq debate......

I will ask the same question to you as I did earlier in the thread:

How do you know that the filters saved the front element?

I personnaly saved the front element, when my 28-135mm knock a marble floor, attached to my Minolta 9000.

And I will ask for the third time in this thread:

How do you know that the front element was saved?

A shattered filter glass is not a proof that anything would have damaged the front element.

In your case, the filter ring probably did some protection. And as I have written many times before, I think that a glassless filter ring is a good idea because it will add actual protection.

But the filter glass certainly did not save anything in your case. Actually the presence of filter glass will only increase the risk of damage to the front element when you drop a camera. There are several stories of a front element being damaged by shattered filter glass after dropping the camera.

I'll ask in return, how do you know that "the filter glass certainly did not save anything in your case".  We're in an area where I don't know what would count as proof either way.  I had a freak accident where the pointy end a broom handle hit my 135mm Zeiss straight at the front element.  It broke both the lens cap and filter, but the lens itself was not damaged.  You can say the filter "certainly did not save anything" but you have no more proof of this than I have proof that the filter and lens cap absorbed enough of the impact to save the lens.  Real proof either way would require a type of testing no one will want to do so demanding proof is empty.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow