The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 3,007
Like?
Re: The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!
In reply to CharlesB58, 8 months ago

CharlesB58 wrote:

Ansel Adams said "You don't take a photograph, you make it".

For over 35 years I have watched, often with amusement, as people file along making it seem that their is some sort of superior aesthetic in photos that are "OOC". Sometimes such photos can be great. Other times they are crap. Crappier still is the attitude of those who think that because they don't do any PP they are somehow producing better or "purer" photos than others.

That's utter photo-elitist snobbery that pales in the face of the history of great photographs. As I see it, it's an attitude fostered by people who just can't seem to hit their desired goals photographically (someone else's photos are always a bit more eye catching, dramatic, creative or well executed than their own). To recover some pride, they dismiss those photos as inferior because there was varying degrees of PP involved.

Sure, there is much to admire in those who can produce good photos OOC. Are they better photographers?

Is B.B. King a better guitarist than Steve Vai? Is Beethoven's "Moonlight Sonata" "better" than his Ninth Symphony? Such comparisons in photography, as to whether OOC images are somehow better than those that involve a lot of PP reek of hubris induces snobbery if they are taken too far.

Enjoy how you like to make photos, but leave any implications that your preferred method is inherently superior at the door please.

A big issue I'd say is that there was a very high level of ignorance about the amount of post processing(and indeed things like filter use) that was applied to photography in the days of film.

In the minds of these people I'd guess there confidence in a lack of post processing being an artistically superior route isn't just based on there own output but a mistaken belief that all film photography followed a similar route.

There seems a depressingly similar pattern in these kinds of threads, amateurs in there 40's/50's looking to take some kind of artistic high ground when a quick look at their own work reveals a clear lack of progression over however many years they've been into photography. The reality is that working with a closed mind and a false sense of self confidence can lead to decades without advancement that can be surpassed in a year or two by someone with an open mind and a desire to learn, especially in the digital era where the technical barriers aren't what they were in the past.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow