The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!

Started 3 months ago | Questions thread
MoreorLess
Senior MemberPosts: 2,441
Like?
Re: The Past "Photography" the Future "Imagery" Not for ME!
In reply to Joris1632, 3 months ago

Joris1632 wrote:

I agree, I phrased it badly. I meant to point out that the number of artist photographers was minute compared to the vast printing industry's use of photos in the heyday of illustrated magazines such as Life, National Geographic, Time, Picture Post, London Illustrated News etc etc.. I have tremendous respect for Cartier-Bresson's work - though I'd like to point out he also said he didn't care what happened to a picture after he'd pressed the shutter.

My main point was that there is no dichotomy between getting it right in camera and PPing, they are not mutually exclusive. You are talking Art but I am trying to leave artists out of the equation because Photoshop was not designed for them but for the huge graphic industry. Professional photographers among my family and friends all find PP a necessary evil driven mainly by art director/client pressure. Only amateur enthusiasts seem to actively enjoy PP.

That an artist makes use of any tools he can lay his hands is part of the creative process but just as in the days of film he probably has an end result, in mind, including PP, when he presses the shutter . My problem is with those who think that pushing a slider to increase saturation makes them "creative", - an artist. I'm afraid it's a bit more difficult than that.

I'm an artist and made my living for 45 years (30 of them in advertising) entirely by my work so I must have done summat right. Still draw, paint and photograph most days in retirement but no PP

Joris1632

Really though is any of this related to the OP's comments and similar comments we often get on these forums? those comments were decrying post processing carried out for artistic purposes.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow