Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro vs Nikon 16-35 F4 and others

Started Oct 19, 2012 | Discussions thread
javiair
Regular MemberPosts: 193
Like?
Re: Tokina AT-X 16-28mm F2.8 Pro vs Nikon 16-35 F4 and others
In reply to TQGroup, 4 months ago

Andrew,

Today I was just thinking on lenses.. sometimes the more I know about something, it seems like the dumber I get and the harder it is to make a decision.

I was thinking of what you said before reading your reply, just get the D610 with the kit lens and that alone will be sharper than anything I have right now. And I still have the 70-300mm VR lens, then get lenses as needed. That is probably the most logical and simplest choice to make because I think the Kit lens is only about $300.

I was also thinking of the 28-300mm all in one lens for $1000 and then later on get the 16-35mm VR as you suggested for another $800... so basically $2,000 in lenses. Again, concerns about the sharpness of the lens worries me. You said that the 70-300mm is only 'good' on the D610, is the 28-300mm any better or worse? Problem is that I don't think the 28-300mm with the optical quality is worth the $1000, Im basically paying for convenience. I think to save myself $1000 I can switch lenses to the 70-300mm. Or is this thinking incorrect?

I have thought of the D600, however I want fast FPS, the D600 gets the same as my good ol' D90. I even toyed with the idea of the Pentax K-3 with its 8fps. But its still crop sensor and if Im switching brands its going to be for Full frame. And the Canon 5d M3 does do 6fps but it is also $1200 more than the D610.

I think in the end Ill probably do as you suggested. And oh, as far as answering your question regarding what I shoot. I have no preferred style. I would like to do a little of everything. Outdoors like Airshows and football games where I need reach, then I like to do street style photography, like one would on vacation, maybe some portraits and I have had a lot of friends and family ask me if I could do family photos in their home or on the beach, shooting in low light, long exposures, and of course I like to try landscapes and studio work. So Im thinking I can potentially make money according to the lenses I buy. That's what scares me with the 28-300mm that I wouldn't be able to make money with the D610+28-300mm combo even tho I have made money with the D90+ the 70-300mm VR combo.

Thank you again,

Javier.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow