Yes, another Oly 12-40mm vs. Panny 12-35mm Question!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ajwan
Regular MemberPosts: 296
Like?
Yes, another Oly 12-40mm vs. Panny 12-35mm Question!
6 months ago

As a backpacker, and owner of a m43 system, my three go-to lenses for the last few years when I'm outdoors is the Panasonic 7-14mm/f4.0, Panasonic 20mm/f1.7, and Panasonic 45mm/f2.8 macro.

For me, the 7-14 and 45mm both fill specific uses and I will never part from these, I love them too much! The 20mm, however, I find to be neither here-nor-there kind of a lens when I'm backpacking. I've been contemplating replacing this lens with either the 12-40 or 12-35 for the obvious reason of much greater flexibility. OIS or IBIS is not a consideration as I tend to switch any kinds of stabilization off regardless of the lens or body! Given all the fuss with IS-induced blur, and bright sunny conditions associated with most of my hikes, OIS or IBIS is simply not needed.

Now the problem is choosing between the two. I've read all the reviews from lenstip/SLR Gear among others. Seems like the consensus is that the 12-35 is a very good all-rounder and sharpens up really really corner-to-corner nicely when stopped down to 4.0. This is very handy on a bright sunny day when it's unfeasible to use a lens at 2.8. On the other hand, the 12-40 is tack sharp, corner-to-corner straight on at 2.8 and is sharpest at the shorter half of the zoom, which is useful to me when photographing landscapes. Not to mention, the extra function button and very useful clutch mechanism.

Can any of you guys help me out? Any of you have been in a similar situation?

Thanks, best to all and regards.

Needle Peak Summit, Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area, British Columbia, Canada. OOC 7-14mm/4.0

North Face, The Lions, West Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada. OOC 7-14mm/4.0

OOC 45mm/2.8

-- hide signature --

Panasonic GX7

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow