Post your Blood Moon pictures

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
F Stop Fitzgerald
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?
Optical Illusion!
In reply to msykes, 4 months ago

msykes wrote:

So far Space.com has posted my image and this morning the BBC has asked me permission to use it.

Here's the shot:

To me this is a pretty special shot (well, collection of shots). I think it's the level of dedication to the sequence of images at 5 minute intervals. I was lazy to went out only once during the full moon, once during the progression of the eclipse, and once during the full eclipse.

At first I really had no plan.  I just took the first shot and noticed that the moon was too small with my 90mm lens.  Then decided to take the shot's at 5 minute intervals and as I was doing it I kind of put it together in my mind. And hoped it would look OK in photoshop.

Luckily the A7R has so much resolution, I was able to crop very heavily and still get a usual image.

The shadow encroaching from the top left gives the impression to me that the moon is swooping through a gentle arc in your collage but my on screen ruler confirms this is just an optical illusion and the bottom of the moon is indeed perfectly aligned.

Yes, you are absolutely right....there is an optical illusion!!!  When I did the composite in photoshop, I used the command " key stroke to get an grid overlay and I carefully spaced out and lined up the moons.  Then later I noticed the arc and thought I was losing my mind.  LOL

F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list:F Stop Fitzgerald's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital III Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Ricoh GXR GR Lens A12 28mm F2.5 Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Sony Alpha 7R +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow