d700 + lens

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Catallaxy
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,641
Like?
Re: d700 + lens
In reply to Andre Alves, 5 months ago

A gently used or refurbished D700 is a solid choice, for the money. It still has better low light ability than the D7100 and I have printed 30x40 with mine.

For a lens, the Nikon 24-85 f/3.5-4.5 AFS VR is a good choice. Versatile range, not too heavy, VR, and good sharpness. Bokeh is ok. The other thing about the lens is that it is easy to find one used or refurbished for not a lot of money. I bought my refurb for about $300 - and I see one online for $370 right now.

Then I would add a Nikon 50 f/1.8 AFS G for indoor low light shooting. The older 50 f/1.8 AF-D is not very sharp until f/2.6 or so, whereas the 50 f/1.8 AFS G is sharp from wide open - giving you about a full stop of low light shooting (shallow DOF so you cannot always use it... but useful nevertheless).

This should be a very competent camera system for you for several years. You can add a small flash later like the SB400 or SB700 (birthday or Christmas present to yourself). And when the kid gets older, you can add a 70-300 VR for outdoor activity shots and sports.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow